Thursday, February 15, 2018

A Valentine on Crohn’s Day

Every once in a while, I want to post what it is like to live with Crohn’s disease. I want to eliminate the stigma that we are always in the bathroom, every single day.

For me, today has been an okay Crohn’s day.

I woke up early to do some homework and call in for medication. I feel like that is pretty normal for a lot of college students today. (Right now, with the Imuran that I am taking, I have to take it with my Humira shot, or Humira could become ineffective faster. Imuran is a type of low-dose chemo and typically used for arthritis: https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Treatments/Azathioprine-Imuran)

You see, energy is one of the hardest things for all humans to find. When you have Crohn’s disease, you are often malnourished or weak because your body doesn’t always like to absorb nutrients the way it should. Therefore, I didn’t get out of bed when I “woke up”. I snoozed my alarm for nearly an hour. This has become almost a habit for me. I can usually break it for a few days, and then I will go right back to exhaustion.

After finally getting out of bed, I did call my campus Health Center for meds, and I did do a little bit of homework. My stomach, as usual did not like mornings, so, like usual, about half an hour of my morning was spent with me being queasy near the restroom. I have to plan for this when I set my alarm.

At ten, I proceeded to my Senate Office hours to type the minutes from the college’s President’s visit to Senate last night and to send other notifications to campus. In my hands, I held trail mix and a bagel...in a bowl...which I was told repeatedly was very odd. I needed the bagel and trail mix because they are about the only things that my body will digest in the morning, other than fruit.

At 12:30, I finally received the phone that I had been waiting nearly a month and a half to get! I wouldn’t mention this except for the fact that it took a lot of stress off of me, which helped my Crohn’s calm down.

After a turkey burger with pepper jack cheese (It wasn’t spicy, oddly enough, so I was okay), I proceeded onto my Costume Shop job. There, I spent an hour remodeling wigs and rearranging hair styles for the upcoming theatre show. This was calming and nice. I love it there so much.

When all of that was finished, my only class of the day loomed ahead. Indepenedent Study. Art.

Today was critique day, so we would all show our projects off to each other. I was first, and as I was rambling about my project, I realized how often I use intestines or the idea of momentary pain as a part of my artwork. Huh. I guess Crohn’s really does influence every bit of my psyche.



Class finished, and I ran outside through the rain to my dorm. My boyfriend and I had won a Valentine’s dinner, so we were really excited to go.

It was the most amazing food I have ever had. There was this great salad, crab cakes, lobster tail, filet minion, AND creme brûlée!



My boyfriend couldn’t finish his dessert, so (silly me), I decided that I would eat the rest of his dairy-based heavenly treat. After eating a lot of fish. And butter. And cheese.

I’m always super hungry or super not hungry, and this sometimes makes me ignore what makes my stomach upset, especially when I am super hungry.

Afterwards, we barely could walk up the hill...but WE DID! After getting back to my room, I had one of the worst stomach-aches of my life because my Crohn’s thought I was the stupidest human being it had ever met.

That night, I took a three hour nap, and then still slept nine hours. After a nap, I was back to normal.

Even with some ups and downs, I still love my body and I still love spending time with those I care about, even when I’m sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

When Sports and Crohn’s Meet

My history with sports has been quite comical. It consists of approximately...no team or club athletics! However, my student gym-life was a ...