Thursday, March 22, 2018

Breakfast A La Crohn’s

For me, having Crohn’s in College often means not wanting to head to my Dining Hall for breakfast.

Part of that is because there isn’t always a lot of food that I can attain easily that won’t upset my Crohn’s Disease when it is sensitive in the morning. Part of that is also because I am often too tired to wake up in the morning. That could be because I am under the influence of Crohn’s, or that could be because I am busy as a college student.

Therefore, I wanted to start looking up quick and healthy items that will help me feel full and well in the morning. I found this nice site to help: https://www.healthline.com/health/crohns-disease-power-foods .

1. Yogurt (unless you have dairy-caused issues, which I do) because of probiotics
2. Oily Fish because of thier anti-inflammatory properties
3. Fruits & Vegtables: applesauce and bananas help, even if raw fruits cause you flares.
4. Cooked carrots due to thier nutrients.
5. Cheese (Swiss and cheddar have less lactose)
6. Cereals with little fiber (Circle K, Rice Krispies, and Corn Flakes)
7. Liquid Meals (like ensure) because they help strengthen the immune system and gain healthy weight. However, Ensure also has dairy...
8. Potatoes because of thier potassium
9. Low-fiber foods.

Another link I found documents one person’s journey: https://www.healthline.com/health/crohns-disease/foods-manage-helen-marley#3 , and this site documents seven recipes that are great for those with Crohn’s: https://www.everydayhealth.com/crohns-disease/diet/breakfast-recipes-people-with-crohns/ .

By looking at what others have done, I may be able to heal myself. This isn’t guaranteed, as everyone’s body and Crohn’s journey is different. However, by looking to others, we may be able to keep our own breakfasts fast and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Sports and Crohn’s Meet

My history with sports has been quite comical. It consists of approximately...no team or club athletics! However, my student gym-life was a ...